Wednesday 23 September 2009

Knitting vintage

Having completed the pattern for my two little knitted girls, Tilly and Lulu, I'm keen to start a new project and here is a clue as to what it could be.


I love homemade vintage knitted toys that were made during those austere wartime years of the mid 20th century. It was a time when knitting wool was hard to get and small items were created from odds and ends and 'pulled backed' garments. I'm hoping to design something that will have a similar appearance but of course it will have to be made from new yarn and today's shades tend to be much more bright and cheerful.

So I shall start by thinking about colour. My mum did a lot of knitting in the 1950s when times were hard and sold much of what she made.


I have the original cards of vintage buttons that she used and the shades seem just right for my new project.

I have some of her wool also but not enough to make a toy and so will have to add some of my own.



After making Tilly and Lulu in gorgeous 'modern day' shades this palette of colours seems very dull but I'm going to persevere as I think colour could be the clue to getting the vintage look I'm seeking. I'll let you know how I progress.